Colleen Hoover Read-Alikes
If you’re a fan of Colleen Hoover, try these authors and novels!
June 15, 2023
Colleen Hoover is an American author of new adult fiction and contemporary romances where women fall hard for enigmatic and sensitive male characters who hide their vulnerabilities.
Hoover has a knack for creating heartwrenching narratives where relatable characters juggle the highs and lows of first love with conflicts they encounter in family relationships and inner turmoil within themselves. Readers can expect lots of intricate plots and high drama to go along with the steamy romance in moving and unforgettable love stories.
Colleen Hoover fan—or fanatic? Here are nine authors suggested by NoveList, our favorite book recommendation database.
- Courtney Cole: Colleen Hoover and Courtney Cole write new adult fiction filled with high drama, relationship dilemmas, and secrets aplenty. Both create flawed characters dealing with serious issues in their lives as they resolve romantic and familial relationships. There’s plenty of steamy romance and some suspense thrown in to keep readers engaged. —Andrienne Cruz, NoveList
- Tiffanie Debartolo: Colleen Hoover professes to being a fan of Tiffanie Debartolo, particularly her edgy romantic comedy “How to Kill a Rock Star.” Readers who enjoyed Debartolo’s romances will find more flawed characters and dangerous matches in the work of Hoover. —Autumn Winters, NoveList
- Renee Carlino: Renee Carlino and Colleen Hoover both write moving, often heartwrenching tales of love and loss. Their absorbing stories often center on imperfect but likeable people who make difficult choices in the name of love. —Halle Carlson, NoveList
- Jessica Sorensen: Readers looking for new adult fiction and contemporary romances infused with high drama and moody scenarios will find them in the works of Colleen Hoover and Jessica Sorensen. Emotions run high as brooding characters feel intense sexual attraction and embark on steamy romances despite the presence of secrets and vulnerabilities. —Andrienne Cruz, NoveList
- Rebecca Morrow: Trauma informs the moving, steamy love stories of both Colleen Hoover and Rebecca Morrow, whose couples tend to provide salvation and healing to one another as well as romantic partnership. —Autumn Winters, NoveList
- Anna Todd: Colleen Hoover and Anna Todd create new adult fiction and contemporary love stories with a heady mix of steamy romance and high drama in fast-paced storylines. Love triangles, secrets, and emotional conflicts between young lovers simmering with undeniable sexual attraction will keep readers glued to the pages. —Andrienne Cruz, NoveList
- Tess Callahan: These authors’ works are high-drama and gritty, and they have the genre “mainstream fiction”; and the subjects “life change events,” “coping,” and “grief.” —NoveList
- Brittainy C. Cherry: These authors’ works are high-drama and heartwrenching, and they have the genre “contemporary romances”; the subjects “hope,” “bar owners,” and “coping”; and have characters that are sympathetic, likeable, and well-developed. —NoveList
If you loved Colleen Hoover’s Verity, try these!
A Novel Obsession
If you’ve ever felt tempted to ‘keep tabs on’ a partner’s ex on Instagram and then found yourself down a rabbit hole of their vacation posts from three years ago, this debut novel—which follows a 24-year-old New Yorker named Naomi who becomes obsessed with her boyfriend’s former girlfriend—is for you.
When Eban, the scion of a wealthy North Carolina family who brutally attacked Rebecca Pratt, leaving her on life support, gets an early release from prison, brilliant state prosecutor Kate Lennon asks former Super Bowl MVP quarterback–and Rebecca’s ex-husband–to make an impossible decision for justice.
Don’t Look Now
Austin homicide detective Jordan Poe is hunting a serial killer she fears is the same man who assaulted her sister, Avery, two years ago. The details line up: the victims are the same age, same type, dead by the same grim MO. Luckily Avery survived. Butthe terrible memories linger, making Jordan more determined than ever to stop this monster in his tracks.
Changing The Rules
Claire Kelly, an employee of MacBain Security and Solutions, tries to ignore the smoldering heat between her an a former co-worker who has returned from Europe after six years as the pair go undercover to bust a prostitution ring.
The Shape Of Night
A woman trying to outrun her past is drawn to a quiet coastal town in Maine–and to a string of unsolved murders–in this haunting tale of romantic suspense from New York Times bestselling author Tess Gerritsen.
Danger In Numbers
Investigating a ritualistic murder in a small north Florida community, an agent from the state police reluctantly partners with an FBI cult specialist to uncover dark local secrets and the violent activities of a doomsday prep group.
When the family estate is bequeathed to a man she shares a complicated history with, former piano prodigy Saskia Kreis is forced to reexamine her own past– and the romantic relationship that changed the course of her life–for answers.
Sleep No More
Jayne Ann Krentz
New York Times bestselling author Jayne Ann Krentz returns with the first novel of The Lost Night Files, an exciting new romantic suspense trilogy about a night that changed three women forever-but that none of them can remember. They were strangers when they met and are now friends with the same goal: to discover what was done to them that long-ago night-because whatever happened has left them all with mysterious new abilities.
Too Good To Be True
Accepting the proposal of an older, sophisticated man after a whirlwind courtship, a woman struggling with severe OCD throws herself into wedding plans before discovering her fiance’s secret past and deceptive agenda.
Suspecting that a serial killer is roaming the streets of New Orleans, criminal psychologist Dr. Erin Abbott teams up with an investigative journalist to find the truth, but when their relationship takes a romantic turn, Erin must protect a terrible secret.
The Girl Who Knew Too Much
When rookie reporter Irene Galsson discovers the body of an actress at the bottom of a California hotel pool, she investigates and finds herself drawn to Oliver, a former magician, as the mystery deepens and more women die by drowning.
Things We Never Got Over
There’s a reason Knox doesn’t do complications or high-maintenance women, especially not the romantic ones. But since Naomi’s life imploded right in front of him, the least he can do is help her out of her jam. And just as soon as she stops getting into new trouble he can leave her alone and get back to his peaceful, solitary life. At least, that’s the plan until the trouble turns to real danger.
Rebuilding her life, fashion royalty Theodora Morgan, during an event in NYC, forms an instant connection with a man who, unbeknownst to her, is a CIA agent sent to protect her from the very same people involved in the kidnapping of her husband and son, which ended in tragedy.
You Can Run
With a serial killer on the loose in Genesis Valley, WA, FBI profiler Laurel Snow must negotiate her conflicting feelings for the fish and wildlife officer she is working with, while dealing with a growing list of suspects and a danger that’s far too close to home.
More Colleen Hoover Read-Alikes
Fix Her Up
Children’s party planner Georgie hatches a scheme with her brother’s best friend, house flipper Travis Ford, to pretend to date in order to shock Georgie’s family, but their plan goes awry when they develop feelings for one another
If You Stay
Sweet, beautiful Mila Hill is the fresh air that Pax has never known in his life. He doesn’t know how to not hurt her-but he quickly realizes that he’d better figure it out because he needs her to breathe. When the memories of his mother’s death resurface to haunt Pax, Mila is there to save him from his overwhelming guilt. Mila restores his broken heart, even as she evokes his powerful, sexual desires. Now for Pax to keep Mila, he needs to work on his issues-and stop being an asshole. But is that enough to make her stay?
You Made A Fool Of Death With Your Beauty : A Novel
A New York Times bestselling author, National Book Award finalist, and “one of our greatest living writers” (Shondaland) reimagines the love story in this fresh and seductive novel about a young woman seeking joy while healing from loss.
Every Summer After
Persephone, a magazine writer, returns to her lake hometown for a funeral and lands straight in to the orbit of her ex- best friend and lover, Sam, and must reconcile the choices she made since their breakup.
Part Of Your World
ER doctor Alexis Montgomery’s world is turned upside down by a ridiculously hot carpenter who’s 10 years younger, and as their short-term flings turns into a relationship, she must choose between her ultra-wealthy parents and true love.
Until It Fades
When truck-stop watiress Catherine Wright saves the life of honey icon Brett Madden, she decides to hide her identity to avoid media scrutiny, but soon an irresistible connection between her and Brett causes her to rethink her decision.
After finding love with Gavin as a young dancer, Penny, fourteen years later, is a suburban housewife married to someone else, but when she and her husnand realize how different they are, Penny is torn between saving her marriage or going back to her first love.
The Light We Lost
Lucy and Gabe, two Columbia University students who meet as seniors, decide they want their lives to mean something, launching a thirteen-year journey of dreams, betrayals, and love that brings Lucy to a point where she must make a life-altering choice.
Seven Days In June
Running into reclusive author Shane Hall at a literary event, bestselling erotica writer Eva Mercy, over the next seven days, reconnects with this man who broke her heart 20 years earlier until he disappears again, leaving more questions than answers.