Passport Office

Apply for your passport at the library.

Please contact the library to schedule an appointment.

Make an appointment

Applications will be accepted by appointment only, depending on availability, during regular library hours.

The application process takes 20-30 minutes per person, if you come prepared with all of the required documents.

To schedule an appointment, call the library at 860-828-7126, email, or click the link below.

Request Appointment


Can I apply at the library?

You may apply in person at the library if you can answer yes to any of the following:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • You are under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

If you answered no to all of these statements, you are eligible to renew by mail. The library cannot accept applications if they can be renewed by mail.


How soon will I get my passport?

Please check the U.S. Department of State website for current processing times.

Expedited Processing is the fastest option available at Berlin-Peck. If you need your passport sooner, please contact the Connecticut Passport Agency.


Avoid These Common Mistakes on Your Passport Application

If there are any mistakes on the form, you will have to fill it out again.

Section 10: Parental Information

This section refers to the parents of the person applying for the passport.

“Last Name (At Parent’s Birth)” refers to the last name the parent was born with, before any name changes, often called a maiden name.

Section 19: Permanent Address

This section is only necessary if you listed a P.O. Box under mailing address in Section 8 OR if you have a different mailing address than your residence. Otherwise, it may be left blank.

Section 21: Previous U.S. Passport Book or Card

The Passport agency now strongly recommends that any previous passport card/book be submitted with new applications, so in most cases, you should mark “submitting with application” if this is not your first U.S. Passport. Mark “in my possession” ONLY if you are not submitting the passport book/card for some reason.

Mistakes and Corrections

The passport agency does not allow any cross-outs, white-outs, etc. If there are any mistakes on the form, you will have to fill it out again. If you have any questions about filling out the form, call us or leave that area blank until you come for your appointment. Please do NOT plan to fill out the entire form during your appointment.


What to Bring

Please double-check that you have all the necessary items, and remember to bring everything to your appointment. Missing paperwork or payment may result in delay or rejection by the Passport Agency. Contact the library if you have any questions.

All Applicants

These items must be provided by every applicant, regardless of age.

Appear in Person

You must be present, in person, to apply for your passport.

Minors must be present for their passport application.

Application Form

Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

Make sure to fill out the form completely before your appointment, but do not sign it. Incomplete applications will result in a delay.

If you make an error on the application form, you must complete a new form. Corrections made with white-out, crossing out the incorrect information, or writing the correction above the error, are not acceptable.

You can pick up a copy at the library, print the PDF version, or complete and print the online version.

PDF Form Online Form

Evidence of Citizenship

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements:
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)’ full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar’s signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

Photocopy of Evidence of Citizenship

Submit a photocopy of your U.S. citizenship evidence. Photocopies must be single-sided.

If you need to use the library’s photocopier, please arrive with enough time to finish before your appointment.

Photo ID

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card
  • In-state, fully valid driver’s license with photo (digital driver’s licenses are not acceptable)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) – commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) – commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: In-state, fully valid learner’s permit with photo, In-state, fully valid non-driver ID with photo, and temporary driver’s license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these 3 documents.

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

Minors Under Age 16: Parent(s)/guardian(s) must provide ID.

Minors Age 16-17: Applicant may apply with their own ID, if they have it. It is strongly recommended that parent(s)/guardian(s) also provide ID; please see the Parental Awareness section below.

Photocopy of Photo ID

Submit a photocopy (front and back) of each ID that you present when you apply. Photocopies must be single-sided.

If you need to use the library’s photocopier, please arrive with enough time to finish before your appointment.

Applicant Photo

You must provide one photograph with your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all photo requirements.

You must bring your own photo. The Library is unable to provide photos at this time.

Acceptance Fee (Cash)

The application fee is $35 per applicant.

Please bring cash for this fee; the library is unable to accept credit or debit cards at this time.

Application Fee (Check or Money Order)

Please provide one check or money order per person, made out to the U.S. Department of State. Yes, you can use personal checks!

Ages 16+ Under Age 16
Passport Book $130 $100
Passport Card $30 $15
Expedited Processing $60 $60

For information on forms of payment and a full list of fees and services, please see Passport Fees.

Name Change Documents (if applicable)

If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce decree
  • Court-ordered name change document

Special Circumstances

If any of the below categories apply to you, you may have additional requirements for your passport application. Please see the relevant page for more information.


Applicants Age 16-17

Additional requirements for applicants age 16-17.

Parental Awareness

If you have your own current photo ID, you may apply for a passport. You must show at least one legal parent or legal guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

  • A legal parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your legal parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11. Bring a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.
  • Submit a signed note from your legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
  • Submit proof that your legal parent or legal guardian is paying your application fees (Example: parent or guardian name is written on the check or money order).
  • We may ask you to submit a notarized statement from your legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports you receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian’s ID.


Applicants Under Age 16

Additional requirements for applicants under the age of 16.

Parental Relationship

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree
  • Divorce/Custody decree

Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. One document can serve more than one purpose without the need for extra copies.

Parental Consent

Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of the child’s passport.

The best way to do this is for both parents/guardians to go with the child in person to apply for the passport.

What if both parents/guardians cannot appear in person?

One parent has sole legal authority You must submit evidence of this with the application. Examples include:

  • Complete court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other custody order
  • Complete court order specifically permitting you to apply for your child’s passport (photocopy is acceptable)
  • Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of an adoption decree listing you as the only parent
  • Certified copy of the judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person
  • Certified copy of the death certificate of the parent that cannot appear in person
One parent is unable to appear If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent. You must submit the completed form with the child’s passport application. The parent that cannot go with the child must take all of these steps:

  • Sign and date Form DS-3053 in the presence of a certified notary public
  • Submit a photocopy of the front and back side of the ID that they present to the notary public with Form DS-3053.
One parent cannot be located You must submit Form DS-5525 Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances. The Passport Agency will ask for additional evidence.
Neither parent is able to appear A third party may apply for the child’s passport with a Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent or a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.

The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians’ identification.
When the statement is from only one parent/guardian, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the consenting parent/guardian.

Written authorization from the parent that cannot appear in person must be less than three months old.

More information

U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs

Get Your Passport in a Hurry
What to do if you need your passport in less than 3 weeks.

Processing Times
Check to see current routine and expedited processing times.

Renew by Mail
Determine if you are eligible to renew by mail—no appointment needed!

Step-by-Step Adults
Learn about the steps for how to apply for or renew your U.S. passport.

Step-by-Step Age 16-17
Most applicants age 16-17 must apply in person.

Step-by-Step Minors
All passport applicants under 16 must apply in person.