Berlin-Peck Memorial Library policies. Please contact the library with any questions.
Updated March 12, 2014
Library Board policy as of February 14, 1990, revised May 12, 1999, February 14, 2001, and March 12, 2014.
- The Berlin-Peck Memorial Library has the responsibility to provide materials and information to meet the needs and interests of the diverse population of the tax-paying public it serves. Collection development is carried out under the guidance of carefully established selection policies based upon the needs of user groups, service objectives, collection specifications, and current selection needs. The Library firmly endorses the Library Bill of Rights and the Freedom to Read Statement developed by the American Library Association.
- The choice of library materials by users is totally an individual and confidential matter. Responsibility for the reading materials of children and adolescents rests solely with their parents and legal guardians. While a person may reject materials for him/herself and parents may restrict access to library materials for their children, no individual has the right to exercise censorship or to restrict the freedom to read of others.
- Circulation staff should refer a patron to the Head of Children’s Services, Circulation Manager or Head of Adult Services, depending on the material, who will listen calmly to the patron. The Library Director should be notified of any concerns.
- Citizens wishing reconsideration of library materials should complete the “Patron’s Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials” form. This form is available at the Circulation Desk. The Department Heads will examine the material in question using the patron’s request, published reviews, and the Library policies for materials selection and will determine whether the item in question meets the criteria, as specified in the selection policy, for being included in the library’s collection. The committee will submit a written report of its findings, with any recommendation for action, to the Director.
- The complaint will be reviewed by a committee of Library Board members and the Library Director. The Library Board has final authority.