Berlin-Peck Memorial Library policies. Please contact the library with any questions.
Library Board policy as of September 6, 2000, revised September 14, 2011, February 11, 2015, May 19, 2015.
- A patron must reside in Berlin, East Berlin, or Kensington to obtain a Berlin-Peck Memorial Library card. Out-of-town residents must provide their home-library cards to charge materials from the Berlin-Peck collection.
- The Berlin-Peck Memorial Library card is valid in most public libraries in Connecticut as part of the State’s Connecticard program and is valid for 3 years.
- Children of any age may have a library card. Children who are entering grade seven may have an adult library card. Parental permission is required until the child reaches the age of 18.
- All patrons, including transfers from the Children’s Department, need proof of residency in order to obtain an adult library card. The list of acceptable identification includes:
- A valid driver’s license or photo I.D. along with any printed mailed item with name and address, such as current electric bill, telephone bill, bank statement or checkbook with printed name and address
- Student photo identification
- Parent identification (for children under 18)
- A patron may have a new card when the original card is lost. Replacement cost is $1.00, which is not refundable.
- No fees are charged for renewing an expired card or one that is worn beyond use.
- Adult and children’s library cards may be used in either department to charge all library materials. Parents are responsible both for the selection of materials and any financial liability of all items taken out on a minor’s library card.
- A library card is required to take out materials. However, if a patron has proof of identification, and the patron computer record is current (not expired and no patron stops), then the patron may borrow items without a library card. If a child has forgotten their library card, staff will ask for corroborating information (such as address, telephone number, etc.) or a parent I.D.
- Borrowers are responsible for any or all materials charged to their barcode number.
- Borrowers should notify the library if they move, lose their cards, etc.
- With signed permission, patrons may request that Berlin-Peck Library records be linked. (See separate Linked Patron Policy)